.

.

Wednesday, June 25, 2025

June Garden Progress

June garden update! 


The beans have really taken off. We finally started to see flowers about two weeks ago, and beans are starting to come on. I should be able to pick my first handful here any day now! I'm looking forward to that. 


The strawberries produced like crazy throughout the month, but have since chilled out. I'm still getting a few random ones here or there. I'm hoping to get another round come August, but we will see. These are all new strawberry plants as of last year, so I'm not 100% sure to to expect from this kind. We used a lot of these strawberries in our morning berry protein shake! 

 
 

My raspberries are still progressing! Every month they are looking taller and more full. I'm still crossing my fingers for some berries this August! 
  

My cauliflower and radish bed is doing well. As of this blog post, I've pulled all of the radishes and plan to get back out there for another round of planting. I love slicing the radishes raw for on top of my salads, and they are divine cooked on the stove. It's interesting that they don't taste like radishes at all when cooked that way!

I've also been able to harvest one head of cauliflower already. But no other heads have appeared on the other plants yet. They better get with the damn program. 

 

Sam's tomato plants are kicking ass. He's got his first tomatoes coming on and now we are just waiting for them to ripen up! I don't dig tomatoes, so these will be all his. 



My lettuce did amazing. These photos were taken mid June, and I have since harvested all of the lettuce. I enjoyed picking, washing, and laying out to dry. That was a fun process. Next year, since I was the only one eating the lettuce (the kids prefer romaine), I won't get so many lettuce starts. There was no way I could eat it all, so I shared a lot with the chickens and goats, lol. 

The snap peas are still going strong. I have had some yellowing of some plants though, I'm unsure why. Google always has the same answer for every garden issue....too much water, not enough water, too hot, too cold, bugs, bad soil. LOL In any case, I was excited to see flowers come on, and was even more excited to start picking. Here pretty soon they'll be done, as they don't like high heat, and so we'll pull them out and use the empty bed to plant something else! 

  
 

The brussel sprouts keep growing and growing. I've never done brussel sprouts before, so I'm not sure what to expect with them. I have read that they can take up to 100 days to mature, so I'm trying to be patient, but I'm pretty excited to start seeing some stalks grow! So far nothing, but we are only halfway there. 

I was worried about my beets for awhile. Some of their leaves were really starting to turn yellow and gross. Again, I asked google and google said it could be *literally anything* and so I just picked them off as I saw them get yucky and hoped for the best. I've harvested about 1/3 of them now and boy are they tasty! I wanted to have enough to pickle, but because my first planting came in spotty and I had to do a second planting, they are all on different growth timelines. So we'll just eat them as we pick them. I'm hoping to get another whole bed planted later in the summer for a fall harvest we can pickle. 

 
 

Fuck these carrots! LOL Original planting came in spotty, so we planted in all the open spots. Literally not a single seed from the second planting came up! Uhhh, what the heck!? So we are left with a spotty bed. I think most of the carrots are ready to pick, so we'll be doing that shortly and then probably just eat them. I wanted enough to pickle, but this will definitely not be enough. We will try for round two. 


The broccoli is broccoling. This bed is nitrogen heavy due to being almost completely chicken poop (whoops), and while broccoli likes high nitrogen, they don't like HIGH nitrogen. So we had some issues with a few heads bolting right out of the gate, but I think we've leveled out now and the remaining are growing heads like normal. Which is good, because I'd be pissed if my carrots AND broccoli were acting suspicious. 


And that's a wrap on June. Everything is growing. Mostly everything is growing as anticipated (I'm looking at you, carrots). Bring it, July! 


With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment