.

.

Tuesday, April 8, 2025

Free Range Chickens

Ever since we got chickens back in 2022, I've wanted to be able to let them out of their coop and run to be free range. However, we just didn't trust the dogs. Maybe individually, but not with all three of them outside in their "pack" just looking for something to chase. 

So we just never let the chickens out. And that's been a bummer, because it didn't take them long to completely dig up and make barren their little patch of yard in their run. I really wanted more for them, but just couldn't ever figure it out. 

 

A little while ago, I was cleaning the coop with the door wide open, like normal, not a care in the world because the chickens never tried to leave the coop. Ever. I take their water and walk it over to the spigot to clean and fill, and then all of a sudden there are chickens behind me being like, "Hey, what's up? What you doing over here, Queen?" and I about freaked because I was so worried about the dogs. ......Who were just sitting there watching like chickens roaming the yard happens every day here. 

I, not so gracefully, took 15 minutes to corral the chickens back into the coop. An almost impossible task.

The next day, same thing. 

The next day, same thing. 

OK!!! I get it, Sal! You all want out, there's no containing you now! You've all tasted freedom! And the dogs don't seem to care. Everybody wins here. Hooray! 

So, now I have free range chickens and I am just so pleased about it! 

I had a long discussion with Sal-Monella and the ladies about yard rules and watching out for hawks and getting themselves back into the coop before sundown so we could nicely shut the door behind them without chasing them. 

Sal told me to, "Fuck off, we'll do what we want now." I said, "But it's not so nice that you guys are digging up the yard by the coop path and under the trampoline. However, I can overlook that if you please at least don't dig in the front beds." The ladies said they, "Will consider it, but make no promises." To which I replied, "Ok. Thanks."  

Every now and again I sternly remind the dogs to "Leave it!" when they get a little too close for a sniff, but it's just become what is and the dogs accept them as a part of the homestead and have never chased them. I'm so proud of them! Of course, I know anything can happen, they are not livestock guardian dogs by any means, but for now we are doing well with no incidents. 

Except when the chickens followed me into the garden and royally fucked up some beds and it took FOREVER to get them out. Lessen learned. Shut the garden door behind me. And Chunky likes to roll in the now easily accessible chicken shit. And Leo likes to help himself to an egg every now and again. Little shits. 

We will work the kinks out. 

  
 
 

I feel like a real homesteader now with my free range chickens, haha. They are SO happy. You can just tell. I love watching them roam all over the yard, and yell at them when I feel like they've strayed too far, lol. Why does watching chickens bring so much joy?? They're also killing it with the egg laying. We've had enough extra to sell a couple dozen here and there at Sam's work. That's been fun.  

With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment