.

.

Thursday, May 21, 2020

May Garden Update

My favorite time of the day is when I go outside in the morning and water the garden. Complete peace! It's the piece and quiet before the storm of kids and homework, animals, and chores.  

The garden is growing beautifully. 


The snap peas have taken off and are doing a fine job of finding the chicken wire to climb. We've even gotten a few flowers starting! 


 The raspberries always do amazing. I love watching the leaves come in and fill out. I've started to get tiny buds forming, so I know the flowers will be coming shortly. 


We've uncovered all of the tomato plants since I took this photo, and all are doing well. A few I think we stunted by the cold before we could get them covered with the plant protectors, but that's ok. It's stayed warm enough now for us to take the plant protectors off and leave them off. Sam is hoping for a bountiful harvest from his tomato plants! 


We lost one cabbage plant, but I'm not stressing. Five is plenty for our family. I am crossing my fingers we won't have an earwig problem this year! They totally demolished our cabbage plants last year. I have my oil traps ready to put in the ground at a moments notice. 


The strawberries are doing amazing! It's always such a pain to clean out the bed, but I love watching them grow and chase the sun! We've got a TON of flowers right now, so I'm just waiting to see the first little berries start to form. 


The swiss chard came in spotty. Again, no stress. It happens. I think I'll wind up having plenty. I've also got two pots of lettuce up on the porch steps by the house (not pictured), so I'll have a nice selection of greens to pick from and snack on when ready. 


Ahh, the broccoli! I LOVE watching the broccoli grow. So far I don't have any heads forming, but soon!! I feel like the whole garden could be broccoli and it still wouldn't be enough! 


The bush beans are slowly making their way. They seriously took forever to sprout, but here they finally are. I'm looking forward to seeing their beautiful flowers, if we ever get that far! lol 


We decided not to plant pumpkin in the pumpkin patch this year. Instead we bought a whole bunch of sunflower seeds and planted those! We made a big circle, a line in the back, and some in the front two corners. I know you can't see form this photo, but they're all coming through and it's so fun to see the circle of plants! It's going to be really cool looking as they grow bigger! 


I'm extremely pleased to see tons of flowers in our yard over by the trampoline/swing/guest house area. These pretty pink flowers are all over the ground over there! I'm also excited to see my beloved lupine coming in! No flowers on the yet, but we'll get there. Everything takes a bit more time at our elevation. 

Even our new evergreen trees we planted over by the hot tub last year have some new growth on them! I was starting to worry as I kept waiting and waiting and never saw any new growth....but then BAM! Over night there it is! Thank goodness. 

 
Hopefully June will bring us nothing but some more great growth! I can't wait! 

With love,
Mama Hauck


No comments:

Post a Comment