.

.

Thursday, June 16, 2022

The Walk-A-Thon, One Last Hoorah!

Over the years, I have felt so blessed to have been able to spend time in the school with my kiddos. I have SO ENJOYED the days I have felt well enough to go on field trips, or simply to just hang out in the classroom and help as needed. The smile on Anthony.....Molly....or Timothy's face, as well as their classmates, whenever I walked into the classroom is one that will stay in my memory forever. How fortunate am I!? Not every parent has had the opportunity to do that. I am so thankful I have. 

Covid royal fucked up the past few years, and it's made my heart so sad that I've missed a large chunk of Timothy's time in the Primary School......either because the kids were doing remote learning, or because the school wasn't allowing those other than staff on school grounds. This Spring, the second I heard the school system was allowing volunteers again, I jumped at the chance to get back into the school. I managed to go three times, and I am so very thankful for that. Afterall, this is Timothy's last year in the Primary School....and thus my last chance to be there as well. 

Today was my very last day as a volunteer in the Primary School. Sam got to come as well, which was super amazing! Oh! And Molly did too! I decided life is short.....have FUN!! She can play hooky for a few hours the last week of school so she can surprise Tim and enjoy a walk down memory lane in the Primary School. First up, our very last lunch together in the Primary School. 

Today wasn't just any old day either, it just so happened to be Walk-A-Thon Day! Usually, the Walk-A-Thon is where people donate either a flat rate fee, or a certain amount per lap to a kiddo who is participating. This year, however, donations weren't involved. The kids just walked the track and got a bracelet each time they completed a lap for fun. 

The weather was gorgeous, we got so lucky! Not too hot, and we had a nice breeze. Molly, Sam, and I helped Timothy's teacher, Mrs. Baxter, keep track of the kids in her class and make sure they each got a jelly bracelet each time they completed a lap. 

We had a really great time helping out!! We took turns walking with Timothy and his friends too. It felt great to get that special time with him. 


After the Walk-A-Thon, which was about 2 1/2 hours long, we headed back to the classroom where we hung out for a bit and wound down from being out in the sun. We were invited by the gym teacher, Mr Fahlenkamp, to get in a little special gym time, so we said goodbye to Mrs. Baxter and his class a little early and headed down to the gym! Timothy got to climb the rope, and then we played a bit of basketball, football, unicycle, and just run around all crazy. HOW AWESOME to have had that special gym time, all to ourselves! Tim felt like he was on top of the world. My heart felt like bursting seeing how happy he was and how special he felt. 


And then it happened. The bell rang. It was hard walking out of the doors for the last time. I wanted to cry, but held it together so we could get some really important last photos of us in front of the Goldendale Primary School sign. I wish I had done that every year, for all the kids, to see their growth. But at least I got these photos. 

It feels so odd and sad knowing I will no longer have any babies in the Primary School. For 10 years it has been a part of our lives. For 10 years I have dropped off and picked up there. For 10 years I have called the office, walked through those doors, participated in conferences, gone to the book fair, helped teachers, gone on field trips, played with kids..... 

I've really been struggling with this the past year.....knowing the end was coming. But I feel like being able to get back in the school this Spring, especially going in today and getting the special photos with Tim, helped me gain the little bit of closure I needed. 

Tomorrow is the last day of school. And with that, this chapter will end. But that's ok....all chapters have to come to an end in order for a new to begin. And next year, Timothy will be in 5th grade at the Middle School! And who says I can't go hang out in the Middle School?

With love,                                                                                                         Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment