.

.

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Homesteading with the Family

During my mom, dad, and sister's two week visit here to the Hauck Homestead, we put them all to work! 

First up was showing Grandpa how to render beef fat into tallow for soap making. It's not the loveliest of processes, but necessary so I have the tallow I need for my soap making! After all that boiling and straining, we were left with two beautiful tallow cakes for me to cut up and freeze until I need them. Thanks, guys! 


I've made soap with my mom before, but never with my dad or sister Sarah. I gift them soap every so often, so making it with them was something I wanted to do! We made a plain soap with oatmeal. Easy peasy. I definitely have to get going on my soap making if I want to have enough stock for Christmas!


Also on the to-to list, making more of our AIP sausage. That was fun to do with the family. This go-around we made 40lbs of sausage. We had lots of help in the kitchen cutting the pork butts into pieces, mixing in the seasonings and syrup, grinding it all up, weighing it out, and finally packaging! 


Thanks for all the homesteading help, guys! 

With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment