.

.

Thursday, January 22, 2026

Timothy Room Makeover

Timothy and Anthony have shared a room for about a decade. 

Timothy was excited to finally have a room all to himself after Anthony left for college last fall. He had grand plans to redo the whole space. While I wanted Timothy to be able to have his own space and set up the bedroom how he envisioned it, I really struggled to allow this. As excited as I was for him, my heart hurt for Anth. In a perfect world, the kids would have all had their own rooms, and when they left for college, their rooms would remain the same. A loving time capsule until they were ready to pack things up themselves. But that's not what our situation is. 

I really didn't want Anthony to feel like we were erasing him, and I wanted him to have his room, exactly as is, to come home to during the first months of college...at the very least. I finally convinced Timothy to wait until after Christmas break before we made any changes. 

When Anth came home on Christmas break, I let him know that we were gearing up to let Timothy make over the room. We had multiple conversations about it, and we gave him the time and space to say goodbye to his room. This completely tortured my heart. Anthony sitting at his computer desk in the closet almost broke me. I think he is really good at being stoic. I'm sure he was feeling all the feels, but did well not to show it. I had to leave the room to keep from bawling like a baby. 


With goodbyes to the room complete, it was time to start the makeover. We finished packing up many of Anthony's belongings he chose not to take with him to college into totes and moved them to the tree fort. The tree fort houses ALL of his things....so he does retain his own special space. Things came down, walls were painted, the dresser was taken out, the computer desk in the closet turned into an actual closet, the bunk bed was moved, and a new computer desk was built. 


The work took a little over a week, and the results are handsome. Timothy wanted a new bed, but keeping the bunkbed for now was a non-negotiable. Anthony likes to sleep in the living room on the couch when he comes home, but I wanted a bed to remain available to him. 


Timothy is pleased with how things turned out, and Anthony agrees the room is pretty cool. He has lots of his own space in the closet, and space on the shelves just for him as well. After seeing the closet in Timothy's room, Molly wants hers changed back into a closet too. So we will see. She's always got some type of plan in mind. 

I'm happy Timothy is loving his new space, and I'm excited that Sammy and I have something up our sleeve for Anthony's tree fort in the near future. 

With love,
Mama Hauck 

No comments:

Post a Comment