.

.

Monday, November 11, 2024

The Giving Tree Festival

If you recall, last year our family was the recipient of the 2nd annual Giving Tree Festival. The Giving Tree Festival was created by an amazing member of our community, Susan Marlow. Businesses and people in Goldendale donate a fully decorated tree to be raffled off, and the proceeds go to a community member in need. 

Last year, Susan asked me if I would consent to being the recipient of all the funds raised at The Giving Tree Festival. I was extremely humbled, and the money raised via the event and given to us helped us tremendously in the medical bill department. 

This year, at the 3rd Annual Giving Tree Festival, another member of our community in need was chosen to be the recipient. I really wanted to curate and donate a tree this year, but life still feels too overwhelming to have done so. I have a tree, and I am working on my ornaments. So I'm shooting for next year. I didn't want to show up empty handed though. I owe a lot to Susan and The Giving Tree. So I made a basket for this year's recipient filled with my handcrafted soap, a dozen eggs from our chickens, and some pickled carrots and beets from the garden. 

I wasn't able to meet this year's recipient, she came for a few hours on day one, but wasn't feeling well enough to come at all on day two, and that's when I like to show up....day two...so we can be there for the actual pulling of the raffle. But that's ok. I know all about not feeling well. I left the basket with Susan to get to her.  

Each year the event gets bigger and bigger. I think year one Susan said they had 8 trees. Last year there were 11. And this year, there were 18! Susan said they made double in one day what they made in both days last year. So that's great, I know this year's recipient will be gifted a very helpful large sum of money. That's amazing and makes me very happy. 

Susan always has the place decorated so nicely. The donated trees were beautifully decorated, the turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing dinner donated by the Grange Ladies was delicious, and it was really nice to see Susan and give her a big 'ol hug. We bought a bunch of raffle tickets to bid on our favorite trees, and then hung out for a few hours. We weren't winners, but maybe next year! 



 

I really hope I can curate a nice tree to donate next year! 

With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment