.

.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

It's Gardening Season!

Over the past week we have busted our butts getting the garden ready! There is always sooooo much raking and weeding around the boxes to do. And don't even get me started on cleaning out the raspberry and strawberry beds. That is a labor of love!! I come out of the garden on clean up day scratched from head to toe from the raspberries, lol. 

We've already got all the beds filled, with the exception of getting more tomato plants in the tomato bed for Sam, and making a new bed for some lettuce seeds.  Let me run you through what we've got going on this year! 

The raspberry bed is looking mighty fine! Every year there is new growth, but I also wind up having to take out some dead. It's a delicate balance. 


The front of the strawberry bed is looking great now, after being cleaned out! We purchased 4 new plants for the back of the bed. We always do so well with the strawberries! 


Sammy and I planted snap peas! They are one of my favorites. I can't wait to watch them grow. We will put some new string up for them to trellis on once they start to take off. 


Molly planted sweet pea seeds in the little bed. We got these seeds from a friend. I'm excited about these! We've never planted them, and I'm looking forward to the beautiful flowers they promise to bring! 


Also new for us this year, chard. We got these seeds from our friend as well. Although I'm sure the kids will not partake, I thought why not!? Lets see if I will like it. 


I was so happy to be able to plant two full beds of broccoli starts! I really can't get enough of this broccoli. Even the kids will pick a little piece off and eat it right out of the garden! YUM! 


Molly helped Papa plant our cabbage starts. We've got one bed of those. Hopefully the earwigs don't destroy them like they did last year! 


All we have left to do is get some more tomato plants in the tomato bed for Sam, and plant some lettuce seeds. We've got to build a new little box for those as we've run out of space! Hopefully get that done this week!  Fingers crossed. The only thing we're not planting this year that we usually do plant is carrots. After two off years for carrots, we'll take a break. 


Looking forward to a great year of gardening! 

With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment