.

.

Monday, January 6, 2025

Scanxiety

Two years ago I got my first mammogram. At the age of 36. I had to demand one after I found the lump in my left breast myself during a self breast exam. And it wasn't covered by insurance because I'm under 40. (Fun fact.....my annual mammograms are still not covered by insurance, even though I am in the high risk category and I am definitely medically in need of one yearly.) In my heart I knew it was breast cancer. Still, how shocking that your very first mammogram results comes back with a cancer diagnosis? 

Definitely not a great first experience. Scanxiety is 1000% real. I will fight anyone who says it's not. 

Last year, I felt so ill walking into the hospital for my mammogram. Nauseous, anxious, and shaky. I just about bawled. It's not the mammogram itself....that's easy peasy....but all the feelings associated with the experience. 


This year, all those familiar feelings started to creep in the second we pulled into the parking lot. I practiced a lot of deep belly breathing, and that helped a great deal to calm all those anxious feelings. 




My results came back clear. So now I have 2 clear mammograms under my belt. If nothing changes between now and July, then July will mark 2 years no evidence of disease. 

Do your monthly self breast exams. Hell, have your lover do your monthly self breast exams. Notice something different? Get into a dr. asap and demand a mammogram and ultrasound. If you are over 40, get your yearly mammogram. Don't trust mammograms? Find a clinic that offers thermography. Do something. Anything. Just don't do nothing. 

With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment