.

.

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Lost Lake Camping, July 9th - 12th

We recently got back from our second camping trip of the season with our friends! This time we went to Lost Lake. We love Timothy Lake so much, and we had never been to Lost Lake before, so it was like taking a huge gamble, haha. I was so afraid I would hate it and be sad the whole time, wishing it were Timothy Lake. Luckily for us, Lost Lake is amazing!! 

The camp ground is huge. There is a general store there that also has a little restaurant next to it. There are also showers! Their shower building is amazing. Individual shower rooms with heat and piping hot water. Yes please!! Lost Lake is a nice mix of tenting, yurts, trailers, cabins, and walk ins. The whole camp ground practiced social distancing like a champ. Everyone wore a  mask when at the general store area. There was a line to get into the general store because only 8 people were allowed in there at a time. And instead of being able to order inside the restaurant, you had to order and eat outside. None of this mattered to us and definitely did not take away from our first Lost Lake camping experience. 

We seriously couldn't have picked better trailer camping spots. I love that our spots had the parking at the top, and then the actual camping area was down below. This gave us a lot of privacy. We were also at the very end of a camping area, so we hardly ever had people walk by. The bathroom wasn't too far off either. I loved all the huge fallen trees around us. The kids kept themselves busy running around and making forts among all the fallen trees and limbs. They found a tree path that was easy enough for them to use (though I thought it looked sketchy and didn't use it!) to get from our camp spot to our friends' right next to us. I also loved my little hammock nook. 


I think my only (small) gripe is that most of the camping is a good ways from the water. We are use to being right on the water at Timothy Lake and the kids running off to do their thing in the water whenever they wanted. That wasn't the case here at Lost Lake. If you're headed to the water, best to pack a cooler and everything you will need, secure a spot, and be there for the day. That is what we did Friday and it worked out great. A few trips in our rigs at 9am to get the kayaks, food, and everyone down to the water and we were there for the remainder of the day. Luckily we were able to find a small spot....it was busy! Later in the day the people in a bigger spot next to us left, so we all hustled over to that bigger spot, lol. 

The water was absolutely crystal clear!...and cold, lol! But once you're in, you're in! The sun was shining, fish were jumping, and the water was calm. It was perfect. We sure were thankful for the nice weather. We really had a great time spending the day at the water! Everyone swam, kayaked, snacked until our bellies were bursting, and chilled. It was a beautiful view all day long....the scenery and the children all playing. 


There were tons of walking trails that I absolutely loved. Lots of wood plank walk ways and such. I love that style. On Saturday, the weather was a tad bit cooler and a tad bit breezy, so we were super glad we had chosen the day before to spend at the water. Saturday was all about hiking and exploring. After our morning walk, we enjoyed lunch back at our camp spot, then Sam, Anthony, Owen, and myself decided to check out this one trail that promised beautiful mountain views after a steep incline. 

We were not disappointed. 

I thought I was going to die of exhaustion the whole 2 miles up. And when I say up, I mean UP. Like incline 100, as Tim would say. I don't think I have ever thought of giving up on a hike before. It was that brutal. Maybe I'm just super out of shape right now because of Covid. I've gained the quarantine 15. Hahahaha Anyway, it was hard. I was sweating and swearing. Sam was so kind to make me a hair tie out of bear grass so I could at least put my hair up and get it off my neck and back, lol! 

I thanked the Lord once we finally reached the top after an eternity of climbing. The views were beautiful, so can't say the hike sign lied. It was worth it. We hung out at the top for a while, taking in the views and catching our breath. 

Anthony and Owen took off down the mountain and left Sam and I in the dust. Such young lads! I thought going down was going to be easier. No. I was mistaken. Every muscle in my body was dying. My hips were killing, I thought my butt was going to fall off, my calf muscles were locking up, and I was half delirious. It was dark among all the thick trees and I kept having visions of being on a survival show and at one point I told Sam we should just stop and make camp because there was no way I could continue on. HAHAHAHA.  Amazingly we survived. I have no idea how. Zero stars going downhill. Do not recommend. lol And you will not get photos of me on that hike (except for at the very top!). They would not have been nice. 


I'm really glad we decided to branch out and try a new camp ground. Timothy Lake will always be my #1, but it's SO nice knowing we found another place we enjoy just as much! We truly had the best time and will be back again! 


With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment