Ohhhhhh Molly.
Things have been a clusterfuck recently.
Last February Molly got sick. Terrible sore throat, insanely swollen glands, fever, sweats, chills, a rapid heart rate that was freaking me out, fatigue, and she even fainted in the kitchen. Tests came back negative for everything, including her bloodwork, though it did show an elevated white blood cell count. Not knowing what to do, she was given an antibiotic and oral steroids. Within a day she was feeling better. Wonderful.
Now repeat this cycle 4 more times throughout the course of February through April. Every cycle came with more tests - all negative, and more bloodwork - all showing not much. A heart monitor, echo, scan, etc all showed her heart was fine. What the hell was going on? I was convinced it was her tonsils, or an immune issue. I pushed for a referral to an ENT.
We were really worried and stressed, with each cycle came a round of steroids I knew was just going to be a band aid. I was freaking out. Finally we got her into an ENT and on the books for a tonsillectomy.....but after another appointment with the ENT, he wasn't convinced it was tonsilitis. And even it if was, he said sometimes kids go through a few cycles and then things pitter out and all is fine. He wanted to wait to see if she had 1 more cycle. Literally? Like what the actual fuck? He was always seeing her between cycles, not during her sickness. I feel like if we had been able to get her in when she was actually in the throws of death, he would have changed his mine. But fine. Ok. One more cycle, as the last nail in the coffin, and then surgery.
You know what happened? She went the whole damn summer fine. Fucking weird, right?
Then school starts Wednesday, Aug 26th. Molly gets 3 days into school, then wakes up with all of those familiar symptoms on Saturday the 29th.
FUUUUCKKK. Like, FOR REAL. Ok, it's go time.
I manage to get her into her PCP on Monday the 31st. The PCP was worried because it looked like she had an abscess on one of her tonsils. We got in for a scan later that day. Yes, there was an abscess. The PCP called and told us to go to the ER in The Dalles. We take her.
The ER says the abscess is too embedded in her tonsil to drain. Her bloodwork shows the beginnings of sepsis. They give her a shit ton of fluids, 2 IV antibiotics, and IV steroids. It's all they can do. We need to see the ENT. We leave with her being stable.
The ENT office is closed Tuesdays for normal scheduled surgeries. Cant get in Tuesday. We get scheduled with the ENT for Wednesday afternoon, September 2nd.
We don't make it to the appointment.
Wednesday early morning we take Molly to the ER in town. She is going down hill fast. We get her stable. We get word that the ENT has been notified of what has been going on, and we are asked to head back to The Dalles ER.
We arrive and are told there is nothing to do except for to wait for the ENT to come. He has to do all of his normal appointments. We wait....literally all day. He finally arrives and we all agree its time for that tonsillectomy, much to my relief.
We move to a surgery holding room. Molly was pretty anxious, but she was more ready to be done feeling like shit, so that overrode her fear. They take her back for surgery. Sam and I leave to finally get a bite to eat and stretch our legs. We get the call that everything went smoothly and she is in recovery. Sam and I make it back to the hospital and are shown Molly's recovery room. We wait for her to be wheeled in.
Sam and I both decided to stay overnight in the hospital with her. The nurses were kind and brought in reclining chairs for us to sleep in. Molly was in a lot of pain, but jello and popsicles helped soothe her throat. I don't think any of us slept very well that night. Come morning, the ENT came to check in on Molly and he gave us the ok to take off. Everything went well, he was glad to get her tonsils out, and he showed confidence that this was the fix. I am really hoping he is right.
It has now been a week since surgery. Molly is doing ok. She describes the pain as the worst sore throat ever. We are keeping up with her pain meds. She went back to school today. I wish she would have stayed home all week, but the ENT said as long as she remains chill and stays on a liquid/soft diet for a while longer, that it was ok. And she didn't want to miss anymore school. She has to miss 2 weeks of soccer as it is, and can't return until the 18th.
I really hope this tonsillectomy is the answer.
Going through all of this has been a nightmare. Missing school, missing soccer, dealing with the drama that comes with that. Fucking school with their excused/unexcused boleshit. Let me remember to get a drs note while my daughter is in the ER otherwise you wont excuse her even though I called. That was a whole damned thing on top of her being so incredibly ill and all the dr appointments, scans, bloodwork, and ER visits.
I'm tapped out.
With love,
Mama Hauck