.

.

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Welcome to the Chick-Inn!

Last year our neighbor gifted us a rooster and 6 hens. Those hens were already pretty old, so we knew their time with us was limited. We have lost 3 of the hens over the course of Spring and Summer, and the remaining 3 aren't really laying much...and I'm thinking their time might be up shortly as well. So we knew it was time to invest in some younger hens. 

I was lucky enough to see a post on FB from a gal in town who had a ton of hens she was looking to sell. We headed to her place and picked out 4 beautiful hens. Then, a few days later, we went back and picked out 3 more, haha. I guess chickens can be addicting! 

For a while now, I've been wanting to paint a sign for the chicken coop. With the addition of our new hens, it was the perfect opportunity to break out my paints and do so. The only other sign I've painted since last year was my goat sign. It feels sooooo good to get the paints out and be creative. I'm super stoked with how my sign turned out! I think it's adorable and I love it! It's a great finishing touch on the coop. 

The originals.....

Sal-Monella

Henrietta

Eggatha

Chickira

The new ladies!.....

Henevieve

Karhen

Henilope

Eggnes

Lorhen

Hennifer

Eggna

Aren't the new ladies gorgeous!? I had a lot of fun picking out their names, lol. Everyone has settled in nicely. The old hens don't care for them much, and they keep their distance, but everyone gets along, and I think Sal is a happy camper to add more hens to his flock. 


We are now getting, on average, 3-4 eggs a day. That's super exciting! But I'm still thinking that not all of the new hens have started to lay. So we'll see if that count changes. But we are heading into fall and winter, so I'm not 100% sure what to expect egg wise. I'm just happy to have some new and beautiful hens, and am always excited to walk down to the coop to check for eggs!


With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment