.

.

Monday, August 28, 2023

August Garden Update

 August garden update! 

August has been great production wise for our green beans! I've been able to pick every day and we've had green beans with our dinner at least twice a week this whole month. We are now coming to the end though.


I finally harvested our corn! Not all of them were completely pollenated and formed, but we got a fair amount and they were delicious! I've learned a lot about corn through this first growing experience, and look forward to planting more next year. Since we've collected all our corn, we did cut the stalks down and cleared them out of the beds. 
 
 

The pumpkins continue to grow and grow! I can no longer contain them to inside the box, and I have to laugh because it's getting increasingly hard to walk around the garden. It's like a jungle in there! We've got a lot of pumpkins growing, and I'm super excited to watch them continue to grow and start to turn orange. 

I was also really excited to capture a little bumble bee playing amongst the flowers. 
  

The squash are chugging along. I'm not sure how to tell when they're ready to pick, lol, so for now I'll just continue to sit back and wait. 
 

My strawberries continue to send off more and more runners, as well as give me a few berries to snack on every day. I've got to weed the box though. 
 

My raspberry bushes are now unmanageable! They are so big they flop over and make it hard to walk around them. I keep saying we need to string them up and give them some support, but we haven't found the time to do that yet. 


I finally remembered to take a photo of the cantaloupe bed! We've got about a dozen growing and I am SO excited about that! We've never done cantaloupe before, and I think we might have planted them a tad late, so I hope they have time to reach maturity before the first frost comes. 


The tomato plants are now done. Everything ripened all at once, so we picked what was good and gave the chickens what wasn't. We tore the plants out and gave those to the chickens as well. They were happy campers. Now we just have a rogue squash plant growing in the box. 


The garden is definitely looking a little jungle-ish, haha! We've got to do a bit of bed clearing and weeding. 


With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment