.

.

Friday, July 28, 2023

July Garden Update

July garden update! 

I finally pulled all the beets. A lot were a bit small, but I did get plenty of larger ones. My new favorite dish is lemon and honey roasted beets. I will definitely plant beets again next year. And the goats and chickens loved the beet greens, so it's a win-win all the way around. 


The corn is doing lovely. I was so excited when I started to see corn tassels. I think a couple more weeks and they will be ready to pick. 

The green beans are doing amazing. My favorite thing to do is go pick green beans each morning, clean and prep them, then add them to the green bean bag in the fridge. When we get enough for a meal, we fry them up on the stove with garlic and bacon grease. It's the one veggie all the kids can agree on! 

The pumpkins exploded! They have grown so much in just a few short weeks. These two photos are only 10 days apart. We even have little pumpkins starting! 

 

My raspberry bushes continue to grow and grow. Like I said last month, we won't be getting any berries on these first year plants, but that's ok with me. I really just want them to get well established so that next year we can hopefully have a great turn out. 


We've got a lot of squash coming on! About 4 of each kind so far I believe. 


My strawberries are doing well, and starting to send out runners. I get a few berries everyday, enough for a tasty garden snack. My dad and I finally put bird netting over the top, so now I wont lose any to the birds. 
 

We've got a lot of tomatoes coming on! I don't like tomatoes, but Sammy does, so whatever we get he'll use on burgers and sandwiches. He does prefer little cherry tomatoes, but again, we got these plants for free from Anthony's friend, and you can never turn down free! 


I'm excited to harvest the corn next month, as well as the tomatoes, and continue picking green beans each day. I think we're going to plant more green beans in the bed the beets were in, so once this existing crop is done, we'll have another one to look forward to. Also, I didn't take close up photos, and you can't see them in the whole garden photos, but we did plant cantaloupe in the new bed next to the pumpkins. Cantaloupe is another first for us, so fingers crossed it goes well!  


With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment