.

.

Thursday, April 8, 2021

Welcome to the World, Kittens!

Back in March, we realized Gypsy, Molly's cat, was looking a little plump. We came to the conclusion that she was pregnant. We were really excited because a few years back when my kitty Oreo became pregnant, she delivered the morning we were driving back home from a beach weekend and we missed the actual birth. With Gypsy pregnant, I was on high alert and determined not to miss the birth! 

On the morning of Saturday, April 3rd, everything seemed normal cat wise. Because Sammy and I were leaving on Easter for an anniversary getaway, we decided to celebrate Easter early, on Saturday. We all dubbed the day "Fake Easter" and were gearing up for a day of baskets, egg hunts, and  yummy food. Little did we know none of us would wind up caring about any of that much, haha. 

Gypsy ate her kitty breakfast and was just lounging on the table. All of a sudden she is in the middle of the living room meowing like crazy at me. She literally would not stop meowing and was just so persistent. So I walked with her into Molly's room and she immediately got in the birthing box we made for her. She layed down and I sat with her for a bit, but eventually had to get up to continue on with my morning routine to get ready for Fake Easter. As soon as I left the room, Gypsy got up and left as well, once again meowing at me, very concerned. I got the feeling that it was really go time, and she didn't want to be left alone. I asked Molly to sit with her and be on watch while I ran to take a speedy shower and finish making breakfast on Fake Easter. 


Once out of the shower, I went immediately back to check on Molly and Gypsy. The look on Molly's face said it all. Gypsy was definitely in labor. Panting, sighing, making noises. Molly was kind of freaked out, hahaha. But everything was ok. 

No sooner had I shown up when I realized Gypsy was having her first kitten! She was such a good Mama and got it cleaned up right away. She repositioned herself and the second baby came. Again, she cleaned the kitten up right away and repositioned herself again. A few minutes passed without anymore action, so we spent some time petting and comforting Gypsy. Then, before long, three more kittens followed. Each time we knew one was coming. Gypsy would go from laying quietly, attending to her kittens, to panting and looking to us for support. 

It was such an amazing experience! The kids and Papa all took turns coming in to watch and marvel at the little kittens. I am so thankful we were home this time, and really glad Gypsy waited until everyone was up and awake and found a way to tell me it was time! She sought out our comfort and trusted us to keep her and her kittens safe through the process. It was very touching.  

I did take a few videos, one of an actual kitten being born, but somehow in the process of getting them from my phone to the computer, they got deleted! Ugh!! At least I was able to get photos along the way. 


When all was said and done, we had 5 healthy, beautiful kittens. Gypsy was being such an attentive Mama. She had them all cleaned up and nursing within minutes of the last kitten being born. And she was so proud too! Our whole Fake Easter was spent laying on the floor watching the kittens, hahaha. Gypsy liked having us there with her, I think it made her feel more secure and safe. We DID do baskets, an egg hunt, and ate dinner, but lets be honest, the highlight of the day was definitely the kittens and all I wanted to do was lay with them. 

Towards night time, we were able to move the kittens and Mama long enough to get the box cleaned up and change out the blanket. I think everyone was happy to have fresh bedding. 


After Sammy and I got back from our anniversary getaway and the kittens were a few days old, we were able to take them out and see who was a boy, who was a girl, and give them all names! So, without further adieu, I introduce to you our kittens, in the order they were born!  

Female: Nala

Male: Otis

Female: Oslow

Male: Apollo

Male: Milo

We will eventually be finding homes for them. We actually already have a few people interested! Though I do believe Sammy is going to choose one to keep. He needs a cat. So we'll see which one he gravitates towards. In the mean time, we have 8 weeks to smother the kittens in love before we find them new homes. And, once Mama is done nursing, it'll be time to take her in to get spayed. We sure are thankful to have been able to witness the kittens being born, and really look forward to loving on them in the weeks to come! 

With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment