.

.

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Farewell Kit-Kat. Hello S'mores.

We have a new addition to our family! And while we are excited, it comes with some sad news. 

Close to two months ago now, Sam sent me a text from work saying Tim's kitty, Kit-Kat, hadn't shown up for his morning wet cat food. This was not like him. I text right back and said I hadn't seen him all morning either. I immediately knew this wasn't going to end well and I just felt so sick.


Despite our best efforts, if the cats want outside, we can't keep them from going out. We've got the dog door on the back door that goes to the fenced back yard. No matter what we do to the back yard fence to make it so the cats can't get up and over it, they still manage to figure it out if they have the desire. Kit-Kat and Gypsy (Molly's cat) always climbed and jumped the fence, even after we added an inverted part to the top to help keep them in! The only one who never seemed interested in leaving was Anthony's kitty, Beauty. I hope it stays like that!! 

We had resigned ourselves to knowing Kit-Kat and Gypsy were just going to get out the fenced yard and I prayed nothing would happen to them. At least they always stuck around! They would hang around the front porch and immediate front yard. When ready to come in, we either let them in the front door or they jumped the fence back into the back. Neither ever missed a morning wet cat food feeding. So when Kit-Kat didn't show up that morning, my heart sank. 

It broke Tim's heart when I told him I hadn't seen Kit-Kat all day. We told him that males really like to wander. We held out hope for so long that he would come home, but it never happened. Out here in the country, he either wandered in search of a female and just decided to stay gone, or he got taken by an owl or something. It's so hard to see your baby sad and hurting. I feel sick to my stomach and get a huge lump in my throat every time I think about it. 

Tim still talks about Kit-Kat quite frequently. It breaks my heart knowing he misses him. We all do. I don't think I've ever missed a cat before. But I do him. He was the perfect kitty. So kind and patient. I'm so angry whenever something like this happens.  I wish they didn't try so hard to get out! I wish they wouldn't jump the back fence! Ugghhhhhhh

Sweet Kit-Kat. We love and miss you. I still look for you every day. 



After about a month, I asked Tim how he felt about getting another kitty as I had seen some posted on facebook. He said yes, so I didn't hesitate to drive him in to meet the kittens. He chose a female, partly siemese, mostly white with a bit of brown here and there. We named her S'mores. If she is anything like her mom and dad, she is going to be a large, long haired cat. 

S'mores is a darling kitty and Timothy took to her right away. He is a good kitty Papa. I know he misses Kit-Kat, but he is enjoying S'mores and takes good care of her. 

We bought more chicken wire and will be trying to figure out a way to make the back fenced area more secure. Beauty still doesn't jump it, and S'mores doesn't even go outside....she has no idea there is a dog door and I intend to keep it that way for a long time. I'm hoping with winter coming, the cold and snow will deter the cats from going outside at all. But I really do need to figure out the fence issue. I really don't want to loose another kitty. He have gotten lucky with some pretty awesome cats who we all love. 


Even the dogs love the cats. In true Leo fashion, he is the keeper of kittens. He takes to kittens right away and loves to snuggle with them. I wish he would protect them outside.  


Farewell, Kit-Kat. And hello, S'mores. 

With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment