.

.

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

The Broken Toe

I learned a painful lesson today. I mean, I already knew I shouldn't be wearing flip flops out to see the horses.....but, you know, I do what's easy. Hahaha

It was 7:00 in the morning and I had just finished checking the horses' water and hay when I thought I'd stop for a moment to give Maizy a few scratches on her belly. Something I do literally every day, multiple times a day. In flip flops. Because it's summer time. And I'm too lazy to put on socks and boots each time I want to run down to the barn. So imagine my surprise when she shifts towards me during her scratches and all of a sudden, before I even know what is going on, my foot is killing me. I don't scream, because I am not a screamer, I just thinly, between clenched teeth, tell her to get-off-get-off-get-off- as I push on her side and she shifts her weight back off. 

Lord have mercy. The pain. I don't even know how I hobbled back to the house. Anthony was watering the garden for me and I couldn't even breathe to tell him what happened, I just hobbled to the house and went straight to the bathroom to soak my foot in the tub. The pain was so severe, it was hard to catch my breath or even think. The kids were freaked out. Anthony called Sam, Timothy got me my homeopathy book and kit, and Molly stood over me rubbing my back as I cried. I am actually quite proud of the kids and how they stepped up to take care of me. They are sweet when they want to be, lol. 

I soaked my foot for a long time, trying to get it as clean as I could from all the abrasions I got from Maizy's hoof. Eventually, after taking a dose of my homeopathic remedy mix, I was able to get my act together and call Sam to tell him what happened. At this point, I was pretty certain my toe, if not more, was broken, but I didn't want Sam to come home and take me to the Dr. I don't know, guess I am stubborn and figured they couldn't do anything. Sam insisted though, so while I waited for him to make the same day appointment and drive home, I sat on the couch and felt like the biggest idiot in the world. Leo was a good boy and kept me company and guarded me the entire time. He doesn't judge, hahaha.                                                  


The Dr. visit took about an hour. He looked at it and was like yeah.....you need an x-ray. So off I went. The x-ray tech was such a sweet gal. It took a bit to position my toe so she could get a good view, but we managed with minimal pain on my end. The results definitely showed my little toe had a break towards the top. I am lucky Maizy didn't break further down on my toe, or even my actual foot itself. I sat and soaked my foot in a cleaning solution for some time before getting my toe bandaged and buddy taped, then sent on my way with a set of crutches. I didn't really want the crutches. I felt silly. And to be honest, I know I'm not going to use them much. In hind sight, a little bootie would have been more beneficial, but I guess they didn't have any to give me. 

So here I am back at home, feeling stupid and sorry for myself. We head out for camping tomorrow and there is no way in hell I'm going to be able to hike, let alone walk much. Just when I think the pain feels a bit better, something touches my toe and it sends shock waves through my foot. I am so hyper sensitive about where my toe is in relation to everything else, hahaha. I seriously didn't think a broken toe could hurt so bad. I have a high pain tolerance too. I can't imagine what a broken leg or arm feels like. Holy hell. Ugh. I'll have to soak my toe a few times a day as well since it happened out in the pasture and I've got all those abrasions filled with dirt. I don't want to have to take antibiotics if it gets infected, so best to keep up on keeping it clean. 


I am officially the first person in my family to break a bone, lol. Lets keep it that way. I definitely do not want to deal with the kids breaking a bone! We have been lucky in that sense. Knock on wood!! 

Lesson learned: wear boots down to the barn and out to the horses, no matter how inconvenient it feels or how short the visit. 

With love,                                                                                                      Mama Hauck





No comments:

Post a Comment