.

.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Homemade Lotion Bars

Change. It's time to talk about our great year of change again! 

Not only are we doing our best to eat better in our home....less junk, less sugar, less processed, more whole, more organic, healthier foods.....but we are also on a homemade beauty product adventure! 

I've spent a lot of time researching essential oils (I even went to a fun class with some friends!) and different products with more natural, healthier ingredients that Sam and I can make at home. There's something to be said for knowing exactly what you are putting in and on your body. And in my mind, if I can make something myself (that actually works!) or go about things in a way that is more natural and overall better for our bodies, then why not? I have the time (well....kind of, lol), the desire, and I'm up for the challenge of finding and creating something that works for us. 

It has taken a bit of time and money to get going. Finding a reliable source for my ingredients was really important and I didn't necessarily go with the cheapest option. You don't want to when you're purchasing what's needed to go on your body. I worked hard to save the money for what I needed by doing some Goldendale Country Bumpkin custom orders over the past few months and, little by little, I was able to acquire what I needed to make a large amount of homemade beauty products of all sorts! Exciting! 

Up first? Homemade lotion bars! If you are interested in taking a look at the recipe, head on over to wellnessmama.com. I've come to love her blog and have found it, along with a handful of others, quite useful in my search for do-able homemade recipes and information. 

I love our lotions bars. They were easy to make and turned out awesome. We used cocoa butter in ours and they smell heavenly! I'm glad I chose not to put any essential oils in the lotion bars because they smell so good on their own. Though I'm not opposed to experimenting and trying different variations. 

I use the lotion bar all over, except for my face. I'm unsure about it's pore-clogging abilities, so I choose to not use it on my face since I break out very easily. Your body heat "melts" the lotion, and a little goes a long way for sure. I have found that with continued use, and in conjunction with a homemade body scrub I've made and will share later on, that I no longer have an issue with those annoying little red bumps I get on my upper arms. Awesome! I also use the lotion on the kids. Molly gets really dry skin on her hands, and this helps that greatly. Each time I use it on her she exclaims, "Ahhh! I love that smell!"



If you decide to try to make your own lotion bars, let me know how it works out for you. So far I'm impressed and we are about ready to make our second batch. I think it would be fun to search around for another lotion bar recipe so we have options, but for now, this one is a keeper. 

With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment