.

.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Homemade Eczema and Dry Skin Balm

For almost 3 years now, we've been on a quest to do away with harmful ingredients and move towards more natural options in our home. Slowly, but surely, we've been working on replacing many of our storage, cleaning, health, and beauty products. We're not 100% where we'd like to be yet (it's a loooong process, are you ever 100% there?!), but every time we make a change to a more natural product and it WORKS, I'm encouraged to keep putting forth the time and energy to stay on this journey. 

One of my most recent changes was an eczema balm. From time to time, the kids will get red, rough, and dry skin on their cheeks....especially Timothy. Typically, when I want to make a change, I will spend a bunch of time researching product options online, paying close attention to the ingredients to make sure they fall in line with our must have natural ingredient rule. Once I find one I like, I'll go ahead and purchase it to try it out, OR if I feel I'm up to making it myself, then I go for it! 

Here's what we currently use for eczema and dry skin, it's a DIY!


Homemade Eczema and Dry Skin Balm


What you need: 
*(2) 1 oz push-up containers OR a 2 oz metal tin
*1/2 oz beeswax (pellet form works best)
*1 1/2 oz fractionated coconut oil
*12 drops Eden's Garden brand "Ok For Kids Soothe & Smooth" essential oil blend, OR you can create your own skin soothing essential oil blend....perhaps using lavender, geranium, frankincense, roman chamomile, and helichrysium essential oils. 
*Double boiler (I used a metal bowl over a pot)

Directions: 
Measure, in ounces, your beeswax and coconut oil in separate bowls using a digital scale (be sure to "zero" out your scale once you have your empty bowl on the scale so you are getting an accurate measurement of just your ingredient, and not your bowl + ingredient). Melt the beeswax in a double boiler on low heat. Once beeswax is melted, add in coconut oil and stir. Remove from heat and stir in Soothe & Smooth (or your choice of EO's). Carefully pour the mixture into the containers. If using a tin, and if need be, stir a few times while mixture is cooling to ensure separation of ingredients is at a minimum. Let completely cool. 

Apply balm over any affected area. 





I decided I was going to double the recipe and fill a 4oz tin I had on hand. This balm has really come in handy, especially for Timothy, on his red, dry, and sometimes eczema rashy cheeks. I sometimes use in on the backs of my arms which tend to get dry and bumpy. It's homemade, contains simple and safe ingredients, smells amazing, and works. Win! 

With love,
Mama Hauck

2 comments:

  1. Would possibly make a great xmas gift for Sarah! your mommy would love an EO for her dryer balls. I heard i can put some in my balls to make clothes smell good instead of Fab softner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all you do....so adventurous and confident!

    ReplyDelete