.

.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Homemade Triple Berry Oatmeal Bars

These homemade triple berry oatmeal bars are a staple in our home. They are that good. I've made them so many times now, I could make them in my sleep. We eat them as a quick snack, added to the kids' lunches, or as an after dinner treat. You can make them with any variation of berries (as I have), but my favorite tends to be raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries....heavy on the raspberries! :) My latest batch had blackberries added into the mix, as well as two cut up plums. Yummy. 

You can use fresh or frozen berries (or a combination of both), making this a great way to use up berries that are past their prime, or fruit you have sitting around in the back of the freezer that you've forgotten about. 

These are also freezer friendly! I usually leave a few out for us to eat that day, then bag the rest up for the freezer. They are delicious fresh, thawed on the counter, zapped in the micro for a 20 seconds, or dare I say, still frozen and gnawed on! 


Triple Berry Oatmeal Bars

Ingredients: 

2 1/4 cups quick oats
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups fresh, frozen (or mix of both) berries
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp corn starch


Directions: 

Preheat oven to 350*, spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.

1. Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. 
2. Melt butter and pour over dry ingredients. Stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined with the butter. Mixture will look crumbly. 
3. Pour 2/3 of the oatmeal mixture into your pan (reserving the final 1/3). Firmly press into the pan (Seriously....the better pressed, the better the bar!). Set aside. 
4. Mix berries with sugar and cornstarch. Toss until coated. Pour berries into pan. 
5. Evenly sprinkle remainder of oatmeal mixture on top of berries (I go ahead and press more, just because.)
6. Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes (I go 30-35) or until golden brown (I like to go until I just start to see/hear bubbles). 
7. Let completely cool. Cut into desired size bars. Freeze in an air tight container or a ziplock bag (I place on cookie sheet to freeze for an hour, then transfer them to ziplock bag). 


I've noticed sometimes my bars will be gooey or more wet when cutting, even when left to cool completely. This happens moreso when I use my frozen blackberries. If yours are more gooey, it really is no big deal. Either just be more careful cutting and getting them out (though my rule is if I break a bar, I have to eat it - haha!), or toss the whole pan in the freezer for a bit before cutting. They are delicious no matter what fruit combination, no matter gooey or not gooey. Mmmm. 



With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment