.

.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Carrots and Pumpkins and Autumn, Oh My!

Gardening season has come to an end for us! It's a bit sad to see the garden empty, the last of the green leaves withering and fallen leaves scattered all around. But we had a super great harvest and I loooooove Autumn, so we will enjoy the gardening break until next year!


Our second harvest of carrots yielded just enough for two gallon size bags. Not much. We didn't have as successful of a harvest as last year, carrot wise, but I think that's due to the type of carrots we planted this year. Some of them were tiny, even at the end of their growing period, and some never came in at all. I think we'll stick to our denver half-longs....they taste delicious and every seed came in and produced a nice size carrot. 


We picked the pumpkins from our pumpkin patch a couple weeks back! We were disappointed that we only got one jack-o-lantern size pumpkin, which is confusing as we planted a fair amount of those seeds......but we sure did get a whole bunch of mini pumpkins, as well as small size pumpkins! And even though our "giant world record" pumpkins didn't get giant, the kids were excited to have four of them. Next year Sam plans to expand the pumpkin patch and we will plant earlier! 


I didn't really get into decorating for Halloween this year, much to the kids' disappointment, but I did bring in some of our mini and little pumpkins and used those as decoration around the house. The house is decorated more "Autumn" like, rather than for "Halloween." I'm good with that this year. I'm loving all our little pumpkins inside!


As for outside, at first we had all of the pumpkins on the front porch steps and the steps looked beautiful (I didn't get a photo though, ugh!)! But over the course of two days, the deer devoured a handful of them and it totally ticked me off! With all the time and love we put into growing them, I sure as hell wasn't going to feed them to the deer! So all the pumpkins had to be moved on to the inside of the porch. 

 (See the little dead mouse on the bottom left hand corner? Yeah....gift from the cat. I left it as I feel it adds a certain Halloween creepy factor to my non-Halloween decorations this year. HA!) 

Can you believe October is almost over? I've hardly gotten to enjoy my favorite month! I feel so melancholy and non-octoberish! With all the kiddos in school now, I'm suppose to have all this free time to do what I want, relax, and enjoy myself. Instead I've been go-go-go and my to-do list I feel only gets longer by the day. Where's my Autumn drinks? Basking in the October sun? Sunset hot tub soaks? Enjoying a book on the porch? I really need to learn to prioritize and manage my time better. I wish I could rewind the clock and have October back! Boo. 

At least I got to get out and take some photos of the yard one morning when it was just absolutely gorgeous out. AND we do still have pumpkin carving and trunk-or-treat coming up!  Hopefully Sam and I can fit a scary movie in there somewhere too! 


With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment