.

.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Definately Winter Here

It snowed all Monday night, all day Tuesday and most of the day Wednesday, giving us (at my house....it's a little less in town) about 18 inches of snow. Anthony had a snow day yesterday, but even if school hadn't been canceled, there was no way I was taking him. I can't get down our mile long dirt road let alone my driveway! We are just stuck here. Usually if we get a fair amount of snow my neighbor Leonard comes and rescues us with his tractor, but it snowed so much and so fast that his tractor got snowed in and stuck, lol. Ah well. 

The power went out for a hand full of hours yesterday as well. I was not pleased about that! I had just gotten done with my shower and didn't have the chance to blow dry my hair. Grrr! The kids were funny though, they kept walking around trying all the light switches and TV and couldn't understand why nothing was turning on. I must have explained a million times what it meant when the power goes out. :) Silly kids. I lit some candles and got out the warm blankets and we all curled up on the couch with books. Sam got out of work at 9 yesterday morning. It took him an hour and a half to get home. It's typically a 30-40 minute drive. The roads were just covered in snow. It was nice to have him home instead of at work. He was able to shovel out around the front porch and then shoveled a path down to the barn. When he was done we all got bundled up and went out to play! The kids ran up and down the snow path and even tried to create a few of their own. Molly kept getting stuck in the snow so Papa had to go and rescue her, lol. I took a few photos, but not many. My fingers were cold! I do have to admit that as much as I dislike snow, it looks really pretty.


Today is a different story. We still have all the snow, and we were actually suppose to get more snow last night and all through today, but so far it's been freezing rain. So you take all the pretty snow we have and add a thick layer of ice on top. This made for a snow day for Sammy today. :) And probably another snow day for Anthony tomorrow and perhaps Sam again too. When there is ice on the wind turbine blades, it's a HUGE safety hazard. The ice goes flying off in huge chunks and could kill someone. So definitely better safe than sorry. Besides, it's not even safe to drive to work. Everything is covered in snow and ice and it's just nasty out. Everything is closed and no one is driving anywhere. Being out where we are snowed in like we are, it's like our own little world out here. My only connection is my blog and FB! We're preparing for the the power to go out again today. I hope it doesn't, but with all this ice it wouldn't surprise me. We've got water bottles and water jugs filled up, lots of candles and blankets, the generator ready, and I made a few things this morning that require no heating up....jello, noodle salad, etc. So we'll see what today brings! I made sure to take my shower early this morning and blow dry my hair so I wouldn't get caught with a wet head again. ;) 



With love,
Mama Hauck

No comments:

Post a Comment