Monday, August 29, 2011

Hard Working Haucks

We went to the fair.

We had a good time.

And then we slaved away.
Womp womp womp.

We surprised the kids with a trip to the town fair. It was so incredibly hot out, so we weren't there for an excessive amount of time. Just long enough to catch a little magic show, eat some fair food, and see all the animals. I really wish I would have brought my camera with me. It's so fun watching Anthony and Molly look at the animals. Molly had a freaken ball and loved the goats and chickens. She kept running from one animal to the next exclaiming, "Wow! Look!" all excitedly. It's nice that a few of the 4-H kids are sweet and let us pet their animals. :)

We spent the remainder of the day loading and unloading hay. We're fortunate that our neighbor down the way does hay and that's where we buy it from so we don't have to drive far at all. We also buy our farm fresh eggs from them as well as whatever is in season in their large garden. We've gotten squash, zucchini, lettuce, and most recently onions and corn. Corn on the cob and chicken for dinner tonight! Doing that hay was exhausting work. It was about 95* out too. I've never sweat so much in my life! Ugh. We got two truck loads, but will wind up getting another one here soon. It's awesome that we have lots of room for hay storage in the tack room.

Speaking of tack room, the structure is complete except for two boards missing on the side (which you can see in the photos). Hopefully we will be getting the remaining wood sometime this week so we can finish up! I should be getting my tack hooks in this week as well so I can hang up my tack....that's the fun part! :) Once that is done, it's all the "finishing touches" like a shelf for a radio, shelves for fencing tool storage, eventually power (come fall/winter time), etc. 

Sunday was another loooooong day of work. We did a general clean up of the area....like trash, tools, and tons of scrap wood. Spent hours combing what will be the arena for rocks and getting out as many of them as we could. We brought sand in to put on the stall floor. Put up a gate. Our trusty neighbor Leonard came over with his tractor and did some dirt moving and ground leveling for us in and around the barn. And to cap off the work day, Sammy and I took down fencing, moved it, and then put it back up. Phew!! Just a few more things and Nik will be in that barn. Hopefully within 2 weeks or so!

Just relaxing with the kiddos today after that busy weekend.

With love,
Mama Hauck